dr. house Jennifer Morrison leaving. A discussion to broaden my perspective.

yunioshi posted on Nov 05, 2009 at 08:57PM
Before anyone gets on my case about character bashing or not being respectful of people's opinions that's not what i'm trying to do. I'm honestly trying to understand better a perspective that I don't currently hold and I'm going to try to do that with as much open mindedness and delicacy that it should be handled with. (and the title of the forum is 100% serious. I honestly want someone to make me care.)

The point of this is really to get a better perspective on why fans are so outraged by Jennifer Morrison leaving, because frankly I don't understand it. (again, not trying to bash, simply stating my opinion.) I know if this were LE I would be devastated and admittedly probably upset with the writers, but I think I would feel that way because she has been and integral part of the show and has certain story lines that are still developing and has been and continues to be a large part of the story telling process. I do not feel this way about Cameron's character. I feel like with the exception of more recent episodes she has been in the background merely showing up for a minute or less in most of the cases and her story is for the most part complete. I do not mean disrespect for Hameron's here, but I think her story in relation to House is complete as well. She has married Chase, and whether they're happy or not or future episodes this proves to be untrue, as it stands now she is married. She's temporarily back on House's team while he doesn't have a license and Foreman's in charge. And for most of Season 4 and Season 5 she was hardly in the show, so I don't see how eliminating her in a more permanent and concrete manner would affect the show so greatly. If anything I would think this would be a good thing for fans of Jennifer Morrison who is now probably more able to go out and do other projects, another tv show (maybe one of her own), movies, or something else. I personally don't see how hating the show that gave her her start would prove to perpetuate anything other than more negativity. And if it's fans of Cameron (and not necessarily just JMo) that are upset, she's essentially been gone for 2 seasons now, I personally just don't feel like there should be that big of a deal surrounding her final departure.

I'm in no way shape or form a hater of either Cameron or JMo, I simply feel indifferent to her leaving the show.

Please don't feel offended, I'm merely trying to state my opinion in a calm and reasonable manner and get feedback from those who have differing opinions than mine. I want to open up a calm and civilized discussion and I invite you to disagree with me and open up your perspective to me.

dr. house 5 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago misanthrope86 said…
heart
I'm not one of those Cameron fans that is signing petitions and stuff like that. As the great Seth MacFarlane once said "networks just don't care." It makes no difference to the producers of the show or to Fox how many people sign a petition, if they want a show to go in a different direction, then that is what they will do.
I do, however, think that fans have the right to voice their opinion about decisions that tv shows make. Without fans, tv shows would go nowhere. So they so have to respect us. Plus, petitions and angry yelling are a way of showing support for the character and to Jennifer Morrison. It shows that this character and this actress have really contributed to the show and it will be upsetting to she her leave.

I guess my comment on your perspective is that you do really have to look at it from Cameron fans perspetcive. So you really do have to imagine that Cuddy is leaving. As you say, you feel as though Cuddy's character has not been developed as much as Camerons (which I think is true to a certain extent, because Cameron was a more prominent character on the show when she was on House's team, so we got to know quite a bit about her). Personally, I think that there is always more to learn about a character. For example, like Cuddy, Cameron has family members that we haven't met. And we haven't heard about her childhood or adolescence. We don't have any idea what the future holds. We don't how she will react to breaking up with Chase. I mean, she already lost one husband, so who knows how losing a second one will affect her. AND we saw such an extension of the Cameron character when she took over as Dean of Medicine. That really surprised me, because I had not expected her to be that way with House at all. So, for me, and I can't speak for all Cameron fans, I am really sad that she is leaving, because I have always loved her (although she got a little boring for me in season 4) and her relationship with House is unique and that Hameron relationship, to me, really brought out so much interesting stuff for both Cameron and House, and I think the show will miss that dearly.
Don't get me wrong: I want Jmo to do well outside of the show too, so I don't get particularly angry about this issue. But I am disappointed that we will be losing what I consider to be a brilliant interesting character and a great actress from the show.

My advice about how to understand Cameron fans perspective is this: Just remember that the way that you feel about Cuddy is the same way that a lot of Cameron fans feel about Cameron. We all have our difference reasons for loving Cameron, and there will be many reasons why people don't want her to leave. It is perfectly justified for Cameron fans to get upset about it. I mean, this issue reminds me a little of the whole Huddy thing. Huddy fans (in general! I'm generalising!) tend to think that because their ship probably has the most fans, that that means that they are right and everyone else is wrong. Cuddy fans can be a little like that too. That is, Cuddy is a very popular character, so her fans tend to believe that their opinion is right just because they have the numbers. So I encourage you to switch it around and say "well how would I feel if Cuddy was leaving?" and list the reasons why (kinda like you did here). That is exactly what Cameron fans are doing right now. And just because people who aren't big Cameron fans don't see a problem with her leaving doesn't mean that Cameron fans do not have the right to say that they are upset about about.

And that concludes my essay.
over a year ago Bery said…
You have every right in the world to say your opinions in the matter as long as it's respectful, which it totally was in everything you wrote in here. But you might wanna rethink the title of the forum topic, that one is pretty insensitive and will put Cameron fans instantly against you.

I know Cameron and Chase have been more of secondary characters since season 4, but that doesn't have to mean that the fans have stopped loving her with a passion, it's pretty amazing the ammount of fans she still has even when she doesn't appear in every episode.
I don't blame them one bit for being that terribly sad that she's leaving and grieving it so bad, because I know I wouldn't be able to stop loving Wilson every bit as I do now if his screentime was ever reduced like Cameron's was, and I'm positive that I would stop watching the show if he ever left.

Yunoshi, do you think you would feel any different if that were to happen to Cuddy? If she had all her screentime reduced and then the next season she left the show?
This is the point exactly, trying to put yourself in other people's situation and think how you would handle it, how you would feel.

Some Cameron fans have been very petty and doing very retarded stuff, but I know a lot of Cameron fans that are being perfectly decent and are grieving it in a non-bashing way, so lets not put them all in the same basket. Besides, this would happen if it were any character leaving the show, some would deal well, some would deal bad. It's fandom, it's pathetic, it's practically law.

I like Cameron, she doesn't make it to my top 5 of favourites, but I have always liked her and I am sad to see her leave. I don't think the show will change greatly or be crappy if she leaves, but I have this feeling with every single character on the show besides House and Wilson, so I wont tell other people how to feel about it. I will tell them how not to act though of course.
over a year ago yunioshi said…
Oh I hope I didn't come across in a way that made it seem that Cameron fans couldn't express them being upset with the decision! I really didn't mean that, I guess I just don't understand their outrage (i'm generalizing, as most have been completely rational, however, there are a few who have gone a bit overboard). And if I were to put Cuddy in the same situation I think my dilemma would be that she's been a rather large part of most of the story lines each year, and Cameron has been in the far background as of late which is the point I'm trying to make. If they would have fired (which they haven't, they have written her off, which is 2 different things) JMo during season 2 and she was never to be heard from again, I would be upset as she was such a large part of the show. But Cameron really hasn't been not since season 3 anyway, and that's where it differs from if Cuddy were to leave. I'm not trying to say that it's not okay, or that anyone's not allowed to be upset, I guess I just don't understand the level that this has been taken to (in some cases! clearly not everyone is like this).

I truly appreciate your input misanthrope!! I like hearing other people's opinions, and even if I disagree with you doesn't mean I can't understand the points you've made (which were very good ones!)

oh and it's not a reflection of the fans on fanpop but if you'll look at some of the comments in each of the comments section of the ask ausiellos or some of the twitters sent to yaitanes that's where the cameron fans go to far and start harassing other people and unjustifiably start putting down other actors in attempts to boost up JM. (which just doesn't make sense to me)
over a year ago yunioshi said…
also, to bery: i agree I wouldn't stop loving Cuddy's character, but I would hope that I would be able to understand them writing the character out of the show if she had been pushed so far to the background. I don't think I would stop watching unless I felt the integrity of the show had been compromised completely by removing Cuddy (and if she had had less and less scenes and was eventually written off in way that made sense I don't think it would compromise the integrity of the show). I would of course be upset. But I know that if I complain and berate the people that have given LE a job and allowed her to be seen each week on my TV, all I would be doing is perpetuating negativity. I would just support her future endeavors instead of focusing all my energy in a negative way.

ahh and sorry to be such a kill joy and so PC (and I know it's part of the vernacular) but if you could try and rethink your use of the word retarded I would appreciate it. :)
over a year ago Bery said…
Thanks for changing the title of the forum post yunioshi!

Like I said before, I too disagree with the Cameron fans who have been petty about the whole situation and have done things such as going on Twitter and harrassing GY. But I wanted to point out that it's not the case of all the Cameron fans, and if it were any other character leaving, things would go along the same way, some fans would take it in a decent way, and others would be resentful and immature.

"Cameron has been in the far background as of late which is the point I'm trying to make."
Yeah but there was also the fact that Cameron's screentime started groing once again at the end of season 5, and we heard many spoilers over the summer about how Cameron and Chase getting lots of storylines and stuff, and then suddenly BAM! JMo is leaving the show. I'm guessing they feel they got their hopes up for nothing :/

I don't feel the grief that hardcore Cameron fans are feeling, and I know that if Foreman or Cuddy were the ones leaving I would probably be even less sad than I am about Cameron, even if I don't want any of the characters to leave at all, because I like them all one way or another. But I don't think it's fair for us to question people about why they feel strongly about a character or ship in particular, I don't question people who feel strongly for Foreteen or Huddy, I just accept they do because we're all different that way.

"ahh and sorry to be such a kill joy and so PC (and I know it's part of the vernacular) but if you could try and rethink your use of the word retarded I would appreciate it. :)"
HA! For the stuff I was thinking about when I wrote the word retarded, I REALLY REALLY REALLY cant find a word that would fit it better. I'm talking about the Cameron fan here on fanpop who actually made and posted here a fanart of a picture of Katie Jacobs BURNING IN FLAMES, oh yes you heard it right, burning in flames XD. And then she made icon versions of that picture and also with David Shore and other producers as well and also posted them. I have to admit that I loled at the ridiculousness of it all when I first saw that, but then I of course reported it. Like WHAT. THE. FUCK. IS. WRONG. WITH. U. XD