dr. house A Rant About Ship-Bashing Double-Standards

misanthrope86 posted on Jun 01, 2009 at 11:13PM
This is a comment that I was about to add to a fanart that was added, but the image was removed as I was trying to post my comment -

"Ok, I will say I don't like this fanart, but that is just my opinion. And the plagarism thing is kinda weird... But what really pisses me off is that anti-Hameron stuff when posted in this spot it is not only accepted, it is rated highy and you all laugh at it. Anything anti-Huddy comes along and everyone rates it low and leaves negative comments. I'm not saying that anyone here has said anything too negative, but the ratings don't lie. All I am saying is that if anti-Hamersonism is allowed, then so is anti-Huddyism and we can either all grow up about it or we can all roll in our own filth."

I don't know if the person who posted the image removed it or whether people reported it and it was removed.

My point is Huddy as a ship does have a larger following, so if they see something anti-Huddy, chances are they are going to report the crap out of it, rate it low and probably leave crappy and abusive comments. However, whenever anti-Hameron fanart is posted here, people seem to love it and think that it is funny. That is a double-standard and that is unfair. If you accept Hameron bashing, you must accept Huddy bashing as well. It is unfair to demonise one group of people who are doing the same things as another group.
Alternatively of course, we could all stop being pathetic and accept peoples' differing opinions and grow the fuck up. We could also stop shitting on alternative perspectives.

I'm sorry if that seems really harsh. And I am really sorry if I am the only one who feels this way.

dr. house 18 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago vieamemusique said…
Yes!

I'm a Huddy shipper, but I understand how neurotic people get over their "ships".
Harshness is needed I think with this.

I find it in good fun and hilarious towards the bashing. It's funny to see people get so worked up about something that isn't real. The whole point of watching a show, is to relax and escape from reality for forty five minutes. I get how people get invested in it (since I am as well), but it is the writer's baby, not the viewers. So people just need to relax and go with what comes, whether or not it is Huddy, Hameron, H/W, etc. etc. He could end up with Steve McQueen and I'm sure the writers would pull it off.

Kudos to you.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago teardrop said…
Yep. Let's develop some tolerance and accept alternative opinions, or, in your eloquent words, misanthrope, let's grow the fuck up.
over a year ago Olivine said…
I'm with the motto:Instead of bashing another ship, better promote your own ship.
Makes the fans happy that have the same ship and at the same time doesn't piss the fans of the other ship off.
over a year ago mimika_s said…
agree with everything you've stated
over a year ago x5mp1xp1nx22x said…
i dont kjnow what image you saw...but i get what you're saying. i think its completly rediculas that people would go the the lenghs they do to try to keep "their ship" #1...idk if they just dont get the concept or they're stuburn...rate the image, NOT the ship
over a year ago midnyte007 said…
I do agree that there seems to be a double standard with regards to Hameron vs. Huddy. There's already been numerous discussions about the bashing that goes on in this spot. Ideally, it would be best if no one bashed an opposing ship, but that's like asking for the moon so I have to concur with what Missy said. If Huddies are allowed to bash Hameron, then Hamerons should be allowed to bash Huddy. That seems fair to me.
over a year ago tda-gwenfan said…
no am with you am a huddy fan but if hameron bashing is around then so is huddy.
over a year ago somuchfordepth said…
hey, we're all fans here. i think all posts here, especially fan art and fan fiction, took so much time and effort to create, so regardless of whichever ship we're rooting for, it's best to just appreciate each other's work.

i am not rooting for huddy nor hameron (i'm more of a camteen fan if you ask me) but i don't go around leaving nasty comments.

peace.
over a year ago Beatrix8520 said…
smile
Just go with what comes sounds to me like the perfect advise. I would add enjoy yourself but at the same time don't ruin other people's fun; Respect others opinion and remember the show doesn't change his course just becouse your are yelling at other's people ships! You're just making both of you miserable taking the fun out of it. Besides aren't we supposed to relax out here? ;) Take it easy.
Thanks for posting misanthrope86.
over a year ago oldmovie said…
JUST FOR THE RECORD: (to the person who wrote that comment)
I would like to point out that a lot of users here that don't promote any kind of bashing.

Take a look at the numerous forum posts in the Huddy spot that deal with playing nice with other ships.

I agree with Missy in that we should all "grow the fuck up" but I don't believe in a double standard.......that's just promoting bashing.
over a year ago Bery said…
THANK YOU MISSY!

I'm actually a person who is usually very against any kind of bashing at all, but the person who posted the anti-huddy fanarts made a really good point, she gave us a link of an anti-hameron fanart in which 3 people had commented possitively, and she pointed out the hipocrisy of the whole situation and I couldn't help but somewhat agree with her.

For the sake of keeping the spot friendly today, it is better to let go of the ugly past when such actions as open hameron-bashing was allowed and even encouraged by several fans and not allow any more bashing today of any kind. But I just have to say that to me there is VERY LITTLE SURPRISE that there are hardly any hameron fans on this spot today, which btw doesn't mean that they don't exist at all or that they are a small group, you can find plenty of them in other House MD fan sites, but yes, all this negativity has driven them away from the spot. Very sad indeed :/
over a year ago misanthrope86 said…
hmmm
Which comment are you referring to oldmovie?

WOW! This forum is back from the dead! Proves that this is still a major issue.

Bery is very right. DeathtoHuddy made an EXCELLENT point about how Hameron bashing is acceptable while Huddy bashing isn't. And as an even further illustration, despite her intelligent comments and reasonable justification for posting her image, she still had her content removed.

And yeah, there are plenty of us Hameron fans out there, but I know that I personally sometimes feel like my opinion is disrespected. Especially with the whole Cameron leaving thing that is going on right now.
over a year ago Bery said…
"WOW! This forum is back from the dead!"
LOL I didn't realize that it was an old forum post until you said so XD

"Proves that this is still a major issue."
Characted and ship bashing? Always will be, unfortunately :/

"Especially with the whole Cameron leaving thing that is going on right now."
I know what you mean, a few fans, even some who have been around for quite some time, have been very douchie about this issue, commenting absolutely every time they can about how happy they are that Cameron is leaving. This is definitely not report-worthy, but I think a little bit of respect for the grieving Cameron fans would be nice. It isn't cool to spread the negativity like that.
over a year ago Psycholostician said…
I can tell you care nothing about the topic, I'm surprised you even made a thread.

Though my stance is: who cares? If people want to bash Hameron, go for it. If people want to bash Huddy, go for it. We're all hear for a laugh, let's have one. Lot's people leave really abusive comments that are a lot more stupid and moronic than abusive, let's mock them for their idiocy and continue with our day.
^ What? I don't care about the topic?!?! Jesus... You must have read my comments very carefully. Thanks for that.
You are entitled to your opinion on the subject. But why belittle mine?
I am dumbfounded at the percentage of House Fans that don't understand sarcasm.

And I didn't belittle yours, I told my position on the subject. Which I believe is better than yours, but that is true of everyone's opinion, so you can't really call me on it.
I meant that your first statement - "I can tell you care nothing about the topic, I'm surprised you even made a thread." was belittling my opinion. I understand sarcasm very well, but it is pretty hard to gauge it via the internet. I didn't know that your comment was meant to be sarcastic so sorry for that misunderstanding.

I don't have a problem with your opinion on this subject, because it is your own opinion. I was referring to what I thought was a belittling comment about forum topic.
"--but it is pretty hard to gauge it via the internet."

If there is one tragedy of the internet, it is doubtlessly that.