dr. house Favourite frases of House MD that made you think

oldmovie posted on Nov 23, 2008 at 05:30PM
Thought I'd make a list of all of the lines in House that really affected me, maybe not my favourite moments, but lines that made me think.

I have a lot just to warn you ;)

Pilot
Patient: "I just want to die with a little dignity."

House: "There's no such thing! Our bodies break down, sometimes when we're 90, sometimes before we're even born, but it always happens and there's never any dignity in it. I don't care if you can walk, see, wipe your own ass. It's always ugly - always! We can live with dignity - we can't die with it."

Cuddy: Oh, I looked into that philosopher you quoted, Jagger, and you’re right, “You can’t always get what you want,” but as it turns out “if you try sometimes you get what you need.” (moral of the show)

Occam’s razor
Cameron: "Sex could kill you. Do you know what the human body goes through when you have sex? Pupils dilate, arteries constrict, core temperature rises, heart races, blood pressure skyrockets, respiration becomes rapid and shallow, the brain fires bursts of electrical impulses from nowhere to nowhere, and secretions spit out of every gland, and the muscles tense and spasm like you're lifting three times your body weight. It's violent, it's ugly and it's messy, and if God hadn't made it unbelievably fun, the human race would have died out eons ago."

Three Stories
House: "It's a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what. The weird thing about telling someone they're dying is it tends to focus their priorities. You find out what matters to them. What they're willing to die for. What they're willing to lie for."

House: Because of the extent of the muscle removed, utility of the patient’s leg was severely compromised. Because of the time delay in making the diagnosis, patient continues to experience chronic pain. (heart breaking hearing him say it)

Acceptance
Cameron: My husband w – [She stops, looks at Cindy, and turns back.] I met him just after he was diagnosed with terminalbrain cancer. If I hadn’t married him, he was alone. When a good person dies, there should be an impact on the world.Somebody should notice. Somebody should be upset. [She goes back in.] (fucking awesome line)

Humpty Dumpty

House: American dream destroyed. Very sad, very emotional. Not one medical fact in the whole pathetic tale. You’ve lost perspective, Cuddy. You’ve stopped looking at this as a doctor. You’re acting like someone who shoved somebody off their roof. You want to make things right? Too bad. Nothing’s ever right.

Foreman: Every slave master thought they were doing the black man a favor. Negro can’t take care of himself, so we’ll put him to work. Give him four walls, a bed. We’ll civilize the heathen. I’ll tell you what. Stop doing us favors. If you’re right and we end up back in the jungle with lousy blood pressure medicine, it won’t be on your head.(I just love that one)

House: "Now, would the world be a better place if people never felt guilty? Makes sex better. [Pointing to Stacy] Should have seen her in the last months of our relationship. Lot of guilt. Lot of screaming. I know this wasn't just because it was your roof. Cuddy ... you see the world as it is, and you see the world as it could be. What you don't see is what everybody else sees: the giant, gaping chasm in between." (The moment I turned Huddy)

House vs God
Wilson: So you believe is, um, a saint. The way I understand it, one of the hallmarks of a saint is humility. Someone with true humility would consider the possibility that God hadn't chosen him for that kind of honor. He'd consider the possibility that he just had an illness.

No Reason

Moriarty: "You think that the only truth that matters is that truth can be measured. Good intentions don't count. What's in your heart doesn't count. Caring doesn't count. But a man's life can be measured by how many tears are shed when he dies. Just because you can't measure them, just because you don't wanna measure them, doesn't mean it's not real. And even if I'm wrong, you're still miserable. Did you really think that your life's purpose was to sacrifice yourself and get nothing in return? No...you believe that there is no purpose, to anything, even the lives you save you dismiss. You turn the one decent thing in your life and you taint it, strip it of all meaning. You're miserable for nothing...I don't know why you'd wanna live." (amazing)

Wilson: "I didn't say it was rational. HIV testing is 99% accurate, which means there are some people who test positive who live with their own impending doom for months or years before finding out everything is okay. Weirdly, most of them don't react with happiness or even anger - they get depressed. Not because they wanted to die but because they've defined themselves by their disease. Suddenly, what made them, them, isn't real."

Jack: "You pretend to buck the system, pretend to be a rebel, claim to hate rules. [We see that House is pretending to sleep throughout this.] But all you do is substitute your own rules for society's. That's a nice, simple rule-tell the blunt, honest truth in the starkest, darkest way. And what will be, will be. What will be, should be. And everyone else is a coward. But you're wrong. Someone cowardly should not call someone an idiot. People aren't tactful or polite just because it's nice. They do it because they've got an ounce of humility. Because they know that they will make mistakes, and they know that their actions have consequences, and they know that those consequences are their fault. Why do you want so badly not to be human, House? [Cameron and Foreman enter and see House looking asleep.] Oh, he's awake"

Son of a coma guy
HOUSE: When I was fourteen, my father was stationed in Japan. I went rock-climbing with this kid from school. He fell, got injured and I had to bring him to the hospital. We came in through the wrong entrance, passed this guy in the hall. It was a janitor. Friend came down with an infection and doctors didn't know what to do. So they brought in the janitor. He was a doctor and a buraku; one of Japan's untouchables. His ancestors had been slaughterers, gravediggers. And this guy knew that he wasn't accepted by the staff, didn't even try, didn't dress well, he didn't pretend to be one of them. The people around that place, they didn't think that he had anything they wanted, except when they needed him. Because he was right; which meant that nothing else mattered, they had to listen to him. (*cuddles House*)

One Day One Room
EVE: [stubborn] I'm gonna base this moment on who I'm stuck in a room with. It's what life is. It's a series of
rooms. And who we get stuck in those rooms with adds up to what our lives are.

HOUSE: If you believe in eternity, then... life is irrelevant. Same way that a bug is irrelevant in comparison to
the universe.

EVE: [turns to face him] If you don't believe in eternity, then what you do here is irrelevant.

HOUSE: [jabbing the table with his finger] Your actions here are all that matters.

EVE: Then nothing matters. There's no ultimate consequences. I couldn't live with that.

HOUSE: Everyone will tell you... that that's what we gotta make her do. We have to help her, right? Except we
can't. We drag out her story. Tell each other that it'll help her heal. Feel real good about ourselves. But all
we've done is make a girl cry. (amazing line GETS ME EVERYTIME)

You don’t want to know
13: You spend your whole life looking for answers. Because you think the next answer will change something, maybe make you a little less miserable. And you know that when you run out of questions, you don't just run out of answers, you run out of hope. You glad you know that?

No more mr nice guy

House: You act like employees should fear and respect you, but you're eyes tell us-- Actually, your eyes tell us nothing, 'cause we're looking at your boobs-- Which tell us that you're desperate to have someone jump on you and tell you they love you, one grunted syllable at a time. What you want, you run away from. What you need, you don't have a clue. What you've accomplished makes you proud.But you're still miserable. Please sign. (I always have to slip that one in)

Wilson’s Heart
GREG HOUSE: Because... [beat, smirks sadly] because it doesn't hurt here. I let it... I don't wanna be in pain. I don't wanna be miserable. And I don't want him to hate me.

AMBER VOLAKIS: Well, you can't always get what you want.

Lucky 13
13: I feel all alone and she hasn’t gone anywhere.
(I'm not sure that's exactly it)

And my favourite moment of House MD ever is the look in “Lucky 13” when Cuddy tells House she is going to adopt, its an absolutely beautiful moment.

So what are yours?
last edited on Nov 23, 2008 at 05:35PM

dr. house 4 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago cocacola said…
well...oldmovie I think you already claimed any of the ones I was going to think of....and more....
over a year ago oldmovie said…
lol, I got carried away, but I love all of these sooo much!
over a year ago Olivine said…
Lol...wow

This one made me think:

(from maternity)

Wilson: Alison, their baby's dying. If the parents weren't in tears when you left, you didn't tell them the truth.

Cameron: That's not how I see it.

Wilson: Do you want them blindsided? Want them coming up and saying "My God, my baby died, why didn't you warn me?"

Cameron: So now it's about worrying about them yelling at us?

Wilson: No, it's about getting them prepared for the likely death of their child.

Cameron: If their son dies tomorrow, do you think they'll give a damn of what I said them today? It's not going to matter; they're not going to care; it's not going to be the same ever again. Just give those poor women a few hours of hope.

and this is just awesome, i never forgot it:

(from the pilot)

Cameron: I worked very hard to get where I am.

House: But you didn't have to. People choose the paths that grant them the greatest rewards for the least amount of effort. That's the law of nature, and you defied it. That's why I hired you. You could have married rich, could have been a model, you could have just show up and people would have given you stuff. Lots of stuff, but you didn't, you worked your stunning little ass off.

Cameron: Am I supposed to be flattered?

House: Gorgeous women do not go to medical school. Unless they're as damaged as they are beautiful.
over a year ago midnyte007 said…
OMG Maternity is probably my favorite episode. So many great quotes there.

Maternity (1x04)-

House: We have four sick kids, at least. Who knows how many more haven’t started showing symptoms yet?

Foreman: We have a duty to these two!

House: If these two have different reactions we know how to save the rest.

Foreman: So you’re condemning one of these kids to die based on random chance.

House: This is our fault. Doctors over-prescribing antibiotics. Got a cold? Take some penicillin. Sniffles? No problem. Have some azithromycin. Is that not working anymore? Well, got your Levaquin. Antibacterial soaps in every bathroom. We’ll be adding Vancomycin to the water supply soon. We bred these super bugs. They’re our babies. Now they’re all grown up and they’ve got body piercings and a lot of anger.

Babies and Bathwater-

House: Tragedies happen. You think that turning yourself into a disposable incubator for a few weeks is going to protect your baby from all the crap in this world, go ahead, die happy. I got no problems with people killing themselves, but don’t think it makes you a hero.

Cuddy: If you think House deserves to go, if you think I deserve to go, Wilson deserved to go, then vote yes. But if you’re doing this because you are afraid of losing his money, then he’s right! He does own you. [She stands to leave.] You have a choice. Maybe the last real one you’ll have here.

Forever (2x22)-

House: Fine, go on in there and tell her that every day is a blessing! So you killed your baby, shake it off, think positive! At least you're alive. [he waits for a response] Hmm. Kinda hard to sell when you don't believe it huh? And you never believed it. You just wanted all that crap you went through to mean something, well it didn't mean anything, it never does. Welcome back.

Foreman: Why are you doing this to me? I was happy!

House: You were aspiring to be content.

Foreman: Don't give me a semantic argument. I was content with the way things were! That's what happiness is!

House: Yeah, if we're all just satisfied with what we have, what a beautiful world it would be. We'd all slowly starve to death in our own filth, but at least we'd be happy. Listen, I need your self-worth to hang on this job. I need you kicking ass here to be all that lets you rise above being miserable, if waking up in the morning is enough, I don't need you.