Teen Fashion What Do Ur Clothes Say About U?

n0195000 posted on Feb 27, 2010 at 08:35PM
Hey peeps,

I'm doing some research for a project at university about girls aged 10-16yrs and how you girls use fashion.

I want to know what you think about fashion and why you love it or hate it.

I want to know what you think your clothes say about you and what you think other peoples clothes say about them!

Also if any of you can tell me if you read any magazines, which ones and why?

I'd be really gratefull if you could just post your thoughts on here!

Thanks!!

Grace x

Teen Fashion 6 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago moo000 said…
Hey, I'll just start off by saying I'm 15, if that makes any difference.

I love fashion for many different reasons. (I also love dot points)
- I like being able to express myself in differnet ways, dress being one of them.
- Shopping is a a fun social activity for most girls my age. I love the search for clothes as well as actually wearing them
- wearing stuff I think I look good in is a real confidence booster
- I go to a strict private school where we have a uniform, so being able to where stuff I like is more special
- I also like making my own clothes, if I am feeling especially creative

I dont like how girls sometimes git bitchy, and judge others based on clothes. Just becasue I like getting dressed up, doesnt mean I care at all what my friends are wearing. I think fashion if about expressing yourself, so following trends is just stupid.

I wouldnt like if people made assumtions about me based on my clothing, but people would probably say they were what Americans call preppy (may have gotten this entirely wrong =/) I dress a certain way for me, not for anybody else.

I read Frankie Magazine (its Australian. Heres a link link ). I read it for another dot point list of reasons
- really interesting, well written articles
- easy to read layout
- music and films I like (not really mainstream so I wouldnt find this in other magazines)
- and of course, lovely clothes

I hope this helps you. You are lucky I had so much time on my hands

over a year ago n0195000 said…
hey thats brilliant, thanks for replying, can i just ask a few more questions? U say u read Frankie Magazine... do u read it when ur on your own or go through it with friends? or just when your bored? or is reading it an activity within itself? or does it vary?
Also, if magazines and television etc didnt exist... do you think you or other girls might have a problem deciding how to style themselves or do their make-up? Im trying to figure out how much of "how to be a girl" we learn through the media?

Thanks for all your help!!
over a year ago alicabacon said…
I believe, cloth represent the personality of the person.
But it is totally wrong to identify the person from his clothes.
Many times selection of dress is depend on the mood of person.
In good mood one would prefer to wear bright and attractive dresses and dark dresses can be in bad mood.
over a year ago n0195000 said…
Thanks for all ur replies so far guys, very useful please keep them coming! Also, Ive created a questionnaire and I would eternally grateful if any of you would fill this out and get your friends to as well! its all on the same sorts of topics, magazines, fashion etc. Just follow the link below, it will take you right to it, its completely confidential, dont ask for names or anything. Thanks again xx
link
over a year ago moo000 said…
I read the magazine by myself in my spare time (if I am lucky enough to get any). Some of my friends read Frankie too, and we sometimes discuss any particulary interseting articles we liked. Most of my friends read the more mainstream magazines like Girlfriend and Dolly. Reading is an an activity in itself, but it is more relaxing. I dont set a time to read magazines, but when when I have a spare minute like on the train or when I am relaxing at home.

If magazines didnt exist, I do think some girls would find it hard to find where to look for for style. I try to just be myself, and not follow trends so it wouldnt really affect me, but I know some poeple only buy clothes becasue they are in fashion and the only way they know they are in fashion is by reading magazines.
over a year ago Kittencutie11 said…
Ok im 13 and I love fashion because its one way you can tell people about yourself without saying anything.
I always had a unique sense of style, I have even more outrageous taste because I now make clothes myself!
I rarely read any fashion fashion mags but i do read Vouge .