disney crossover Jim and Melody - "Age Problem"

Ribon95 posted on Apr 25, 2012 at 09:19AM
Ok so, I started this forum because there are SO many people who have an age problem with Jim and Melody! People! she's 12 and he's 15, what's the big deal??

And anyways the people who don't really have a problem with this couple cause of age but still don't like them it's usually because they like Jim/Ariel ( a couple I will never understand, because besides being married she's a mom already, oh and for the people who do have a problem with age and still like this couple, a woman in her 30s with a 15 year old... Yeah way to go!-_-) anyways im not here to insult Jim and ariel fans, and its not because of age but their personalities wouldn't go really good together (MY OPINION )
Anyways I think Jim and Melody, if they were to meet (gosh I WISH XD ) they would share a meanful relationship and , oh I don't know, there's something about these two that just goes well :)

Oh and BTW, in all my pics of Jim and melody especially my drawings I usually pretend they r older like 15 and 18 , because I don't really believe you'd find your true love when you're 12, so yeah it's the same age gap but just older, so please don't post on my pics that theyre just kids or too young, or even that they are a pedophile couple ( yeah someone posted that on a video once -_- )

Oh well, thanks for reading and sorry I wasted your time in this ^.^

Oh and look at this pic I found! Romeo and Juliet, one of the most popular and romantic couple in the World.

Ok so, I started this fórum because there are SO many people who have an age problem with Jim and Mel
last edited on May 13, 2012 at 10:30PM

disney crossover 9 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago GypsyMarionette said…
I hate to be the first to comment and be the bad guy(gal), but I don't care for the MelodyXJim pairing.

Since age seems to be the highest reason for other people disapproving of the couple, I'll address that matter first.

Age does matter. Maybe not when the two people in question are adults, but before that age definitely matters.

First of all let's look at what the two will be going through in their current psychological stages of development. Melody, having just turned 12 (given it was her 12th birthday in the movie), has just entered the "Identity vs. Role Confusion" stage. During this stage (ages 12-18) teens need to develop a sense of self and personal identity. Success leads to an ability to stay true to yourself, while failure leads to role confusion and a weak sense of self. The most important event of this stage is forming social relationships. Now Jim is in the middle of this stage, thus having a firmer grasp on who he is and who he wants to be. Currently with them both at the same stage, this wouldn't be too much of a problem. However with Jim being 3 years older, he will reach the next stage, and Melody will not be in the same stage for another 3 years. Establishing a sense of identity is very important for an adolescent and that takes time. If you have Melody and Jim as being a couple, then when Jim goes into the next stage of maturity, Melody may want to force herself psychologically into the next stage which may mess with her formation of identity and lead to role confusion and a weak sense of self.

Secondly, their physical development is too different at this point. Jim is fifteen year old boy and probably starting to those ideas in his head that all little girls' fathers worry about. Melody is 12 years old and just starting puberty. The pairing just seems awkward with the current ages and age differences.

Thirdly, (no offense to Shakespeare) I highly disapproved of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. It starts off with Romeo claiming to be madly in love a girl named Rosalind, then he sees Juliet and suddenly claims he's now in love with her. Romeo clearly only liked Juliet for her appearance. He did not know anything of her personality, interests, or thoughts. Juliet, 13 and gullible, is swept off her feet by Romeo's romantic words as he fawns over her appearance. Now let's see a 13 year old girl with a 17 year old boy. Romeo is practically a cradle-robber. In one year, their union would be illegal in the US. Another reason to pick at this play (oh there are so many) is that Romeo is a git! He swiftly changes loves and at one point of the play when he finds out he can't be with Juliet, he cries like a baby. The Friar at one point even says to him, "Art thou a man? Thy tears are womanish."
Now I will say one thing for the play, and that is that given the time period it takes place the age difference is not as big of a deal as it is now. Back at that time, it was acceptable for a young teenage girl to be married off, but that time has long passed.

Melody needs to be either closer to Jim's age or they do not need to have a romantic relationship til they are both adults.

Oh, here's the definition of "git:"

git, n.
In contemptuous use: a worthless person.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Angeelous said…
:l What's the matter with jim&melody? :S NO MATTER THE AGE! THEY ARE PERFECT EACH OTHER, IT'S PEOPLE'S OPINION ;).
over a year ago GypsyMarionette said…
And that's fantastic that people have their opinions. All I ask is that they provide reasons. I explained a reason why I do not like the couple. Could you explain why you do like it or why you think it makes sense? Believing that they are perfect for each other is an opinion. Now please back up your opinion with some reasons.

On a side note, typing in all caps is considered yelling. This may not have been your intention, but that is how caps lock is most often read. Please do not raise your voice at me.
over a year ago TheCrystalRing said…
^Lol...
over a year ago HerbieStardust said…
big smile
@Gypsy: You made a fantastic point! I despise the concept that Romeo and Juliet are the perfect couple.

I like Jim and Melody's personalities together, they'd get along great, they'd have fun adventures, they'd argue like every couple be cause THERE ARE NO PERFECT COUPLES. <- Caps used because there is no italic. But they'd also teach each other a lot.

However, the age issue is a big one. They're both in entirely different stages of maturity and development, Melody's just dipping her toe into self discovery while Jim is at the point where he's figuring out what to do with his own self discovery. Three years makes a big difference between ages 12 and 20. I ship this two in AU, where they're either already out of those confusing years of puberty, or when they are closer in age when they meet.
over a year ago MegaraRider said…
First of all, I would like to say that, Gypsy, you are awesome.

Personally, I do not like Jim and Melody together, but it has nothing to do with age. I've never seen The Little Mermaid 2, so I don't know Melody's personality. However, I don't think physically they look good together. At the same time, though, I think crossover couples should be paired by personality traits, not by age.

In real life, a fifteen year old boy would never date a twelve year old girl. HOWEVER, in Disney movies, the concept of age is completely thrown out the window. I'm pretty sure Eric is more than 3 years older than Ariel. And Meg is probably a lot older than Hercules. Flynn also looked a lot older than Rapunzel.
over a year ago TheCrystalRing said…
^Yeah...I read somewhere that Flynn is 27...creepy...
over a year ago sumerjoy11 said…
Well, I'm not too fond with this pairing. I'm more attached to Jim/Ariel. The age thing doesn't really bother me. I mean, I've seen so many pairings when someone is older than the other. As long as someone isn't TOO old, then it's alright for me. Like, a 12 year old with a 15 year old doesn't sound too bad to me.
over a year ago Angeelous said…
:).