Bangel vs Spuffy Transcends Everything

mandapanda posted on May 28, 2008 at 12:28AM
I truly believe that Angel loved Buffy and that Buffy loved Angel. Here are my reasons:

-She didn't care about his vampire(ness) in What's My Line
-Even though they had "moved on", they still felt pain whenever their new interests were brought up. Riley in Sanctuary, or, even though they never did anything, Faith.
-Buffy helps him when he returned from hell, and in Amends
-He helped her in Helpless
-Buffy always tried to look out for Angel when she thought he was in danger or was in danger (Amends, Graduation Day pt 1 and 2, Santuary)
-Because "he is willing to give up all human happiness, and content to save her life." He isn't a lower being, and because he wouldn't allow her to fight or maybe die alone.

-Even though they were apart, they still loved each other, throughout all seasons of Buffy, and throughout all seasons of Angel. In IWRY, Angel said he didn't want her to fight alone, and maybe die alone. He did that for her, and he stayed true to that. Even though they didn't fight side by side, they still fought, but not alone. And die, well, they didn't die either. (stayed dead that is)

What do you think?

last edited on May 28, 2008 at 12:30AM

Bangel vs Spuffy 2 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago NikaDawson said…
I never said Buffy and Angel didn't love each other. They did. But what they had was first love, and they both moved on. Buffy fell in love with Spike, Angel with Cordelia.

I think these quote's from Jane Espenson portrays how I feel about Spuffy, Bangel, and Cangel perfectly.

Do you have a favourite season or story arc in particular?
I really loved Faith and the Mayor even though I never wrote for Faith. I thought that was great fun. I enjoyed the Nerds - always! They were always so funny. I've been interested in Principal Wood this year. But my number one has got to be the Buffy and Spike love story. I think that is just a gorgeous story. How do you follow-up her romance with Angel? I like the romance with Spike better. I'm more interested in the heat between those two characters because I felt Buffy and Angel had romantic love. Spike and Buffy have something so much more complicated that it's got that romance and all this other stuff on top of it which makes it so interesting for me. -- Jane Espenson (TV Zone Interview, 2002)

Some would say Angel and Buffy really had more of an idealized first love while Spike and Buffy have the more adult, messy kind of love which is more realistic?
That's right. It's not idealized and it's just so often ugly and yet when James Marsters does stuff where you look in his face and you go "Oh, my God, he loves her so much!" Ahh! It's just so wonderful. -- Jane Espenson (TV Zone Interview, 2002)

"Angel and Cordelia, have a mature love between two old souls" -Jane Espenson

That's how I feel, I believe that Angel and Buffy had first love. It was real, yes, passionate yes, but they both moved on, like all first loves do, to someone that was more their equal, that better fit the people they became later on, than the character's they were.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago flootzavut said…
"If someone is there for you, is asking nothing of you and has loved you faithfully and unconditionally for all those years, and if that person is the one that you turn to for comfort and support when you are at your most vulnerable, and if they give you that comfort and support unconditionally asking nothing in return, then whether you acknowledge it or not, that is love, so yes, Buffy loved Spike." (Also Jane Espenson)