arthur e gwen Rewatching Merlin 1x02 – “Valiant”

sportyshuie posted on Jan 19, 2013 at 01:46PM
Now that the show has ended let’s go back and rewatch the episodes with a whole new perspective. We have watched the characters develop and gotten to know them well. Some we love more than others, but now our perspectives have changed as we know how everything turns out. Let’s have fun looking at the story unfold with our new perspectives from when we first watched the respective episodes. (Thanks to the folks over at tvdotcom for ideas we’ve borrowed from them.)

Moderators for Season 1:
HumbleQueen
Sportyshuie
Ellarose88
[others...]

Rules are as follows:

I. We are getting started with 1x01 on Saturday, January 12, 2013 and a new forum will be opened every following Saturday. Moderators will post following the order in the list above to open threads and we’ll be watching the episodes in sequence. We will then be watching the last episode of Season 1 (1x13) on the week beginning April 6th.

II. Every moderator opening a rewatching thread should copy and paste the information in this entry (Introduction, List of moderators, Rules and Master List) at the top. That way, keeping track of the turns and our progress will be easier and also having the rules at hand will be useful for those who may have decided to join us part way through.

III. Everyone opening a rewatching thread is responsible for reminding the next person in the list to do the same the following Saturday (sending a pm on Friday should do it).

IV. Anyone not being able to open a thread on a particular Saturday can swap turns with the next person in the list (or anyone else) as long as they keep track of their respective turns.

V. People taking part can jump in with comments, but just because you watch and comment on a particular episode does not mean it’s compulsory to watch every single episode to be a part of this rewatching.

VI. Anyone is most welcome to join at any time. Also, new moderators will be added to the list when we get them.

VII. If you don’t have dvd’s or subscribe to Netflix or Amazon Prime, the first four seasons are available free (with ads) on hulu: link

Also famfan suggested link

VIII. Constructive criticism of characters/actors is always in order, but please no bashing.

IX. Let’s have fun down memory lane. Be inspired to do fanfics, fanvids, and fanart.

Here’s a master list of a twelve items we’ll be looking for in all episodes. The moderator will post the lists (as filled in) at her convenience. Anybody can suggest any they see though. Mods will also be posting their own questions for discussion.

A. Anything that has to do with Arwen.
B. Lives saved.
C. R.I.P. list.
D. Who spent time in the dungeon?
E. Times Arthur is knocked unconscious or prevented from knowing about Merlin's magic
F. Great dragon predictions/riddles.
G. Statements about Arthur becoming the great king of legend.
H. What Uther says about magic.
I. Progress or resets in Arthur/Merlin relationship
J. Guest star special characters.
K. Morgana dreams.
L. Knights of the round table appearances.

Now that the show has ended let’s go back and rewatch the episodes with a whole new perspective. We
last edited on Jan 19, 2013 at 01:48PM

arthur e gwen 17 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago sportyshuie said…
cool
Greetings everyone.
WOW ... what a rewatch it has been? I must say I truly ENJOYED it to the max! And to be honest, watching it a second time poses and anwers so many questions it didn't the first time. Was well worth it. With the foundation of the series firmly set and well placed, we can now move on to the next episode which is titled "Valiant"

It's a nice episode, not to dark or heavy in the drama department but it does have further links and questions we are starving for which deprived us in the final season. So, have a good rewatch and just come back in to drop in your thoughts about the episode. Like HQ before, I too have my version of discussion questions which might be of your interest. So, choose what you want to answer and drop in as many points as you have. And if you have questions yourself, be free to ask me. If not me, my fellow mods will answer them. But remember, HAVE FUN! That's the goal of this rewatch.

Questions.

1. What is Valiant's reason to join the tournament and win it?

2. Name as many plot holes as you like (if there are any). This is my personal fav

3. Why do you think Gaius restricted himself from helping Merlin when Uther questioned about Sir Ewan? His answer could have saved Merlin and Arthur the blushes. And remember, he was the court physician and someone Uther trusted.

4. What did you learn in this episode? (lessons learnt)

5. Arthur showed why he is the once and future king in this episode. Did you all note it? Where?

6. IMO there is one Arwen indicator in this episode? It a when you blink you'll miss it kind of scene. Did you all spot it? Where? Be free to explain why she did it?

7. Name your favourite moment in this episode? (As many you want, it'll be fun if there's more than one.) Explain why you like it.

8. If you are the director, how would you have improved the episode? Name and explain as many you want. Cast, props, setting, plot, music etc.

9. Discuss Merlin and Gwen's progress as friends in this episode.

10. Discuss other relationships; Morgana & Uther, Morgana & Arthur, Gaius & Merlin, Gaius & Uther.

11. Let's discuss the father and son (Arthur & Uther) relationship in this episode. How do you all see it compared to other seasons?

12. The villain in this episode. How good / bad was he? Effective to the plot or simply a waste of talent? Tell us!!

13. And finally, the man of the title himself. MERLIN. Let's review his performance here compared to the first episode. Some liked him and some did not. So, has he done anything to improve your perspective in this episode? Or do you still not like him? How has he changed (if he did) or how can he change for the better? Talk anything!

Have fun folks and will be waiting to hear from all of you anxiously. :)
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago HumbleQueen said…
smile
Yaaaaay, Shu! You're on! You're photo is AWESOME.

Well, I'm having one of those busy days in and out and tomorrow Sunday so I'm anxious to get my watching this episode in but don;t know when I can squeeze it in before Monday. I wanted to do my re-watch with your questions in mind so was waiting for your post. I love your questions, and will try to have some insight on some of them. I usually don't tackle all, but we'll see. Exciting episode! One of my favorite villains!

I've seen this one a lot before because isn't this the only commentary that Brad and Angel did together just the two of them? I've listened to that a lot and I don't think there's been another. Only one other with a couple of others with them I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

over a year ago MISAforever said…
big smile
I can't wait to watch it and comment!!! It was a good episode!
over a year ago ellarose88 said…
I watched this last week in preparation for 1x03, but I think I will watch it again with these wonderful questions in mind. God, I need to come up with my own too.

I'll be back possibly tonight or tomorrow with my thoughts. I'm busy today hanging out with a friend.
over a year ago famfan said…
smile
Wow, late as usual of to re-watch with your questions in mind....
over a year ago MISAforever said…
smile

Money and greed obviously! I think most of Merlin villains were led by greed.

2. Name as many plot holes as you like (if there are any).
Well in my opinion the biggest one was how Uther didn't trust Arthur but Valiant. maybe it is not a plot hole in a traditional sense. But i always felt Uther should have trusted more his son than a complete stranger even though he had no evidence.

3. Why do you think Gaius restricted himself from helping Merlin when Uther questioned about Sir Ewan? His answer could have saved Merlin and Arthur the blushes. And remember, he was the court physician and someone Uther trusted.
And that would have been a second plot hole, the same reasons as above! But Uther is a complex chracter who doesn't trust much his feelings but rules with head. I guess that's the answer.

Hmm, what did I learn. Arthur is sexy in slow-mo!! That's my favorite lesson!!

5. Arthur showed why he is the once and future king in this episode. Did you all note it? Where?
He trusted his servant and that was in the beginning of the show when he was a spoiled prat. He trusted his heart and not his head. He should have done that more often in the later series too!

6. IMO there is one Arwen indicator in this episode? It a when you blink you'll miss it kind of scene. Did you all spot it? Where? Be free to explain why she did it?
Ohh i didn't see it. tell me, tell me nooooooooooow!

7. Name your favourite moment in this episode? (As many you want, it'll be fun if there's more than one.) Explain why you like it.
Again, Arthur in slow-mo, and again because he's sexy. I am shallow and I know it. I also loved when Merlin complained there must be another Arthur. "Destinies are troublesome things".

8. If you are the director, how would you have improved the episode? Name and explain as many you want. Cast, props, setting, plot, music etc.
Well, I would avoid the plot holes I mentioned, but then Merlin wouldn't have to use his magic. I would also make more Arthur and Gwen indicators. Little but more.

They were adorable. it's one of the reasons I love season 1. I love how she is somehow always there for him.

11. Let's discuss the father and son (Arthur & Uther) relationship in this episode. How do you all see it compared to other seasons?
Their relationship has always been pretty much the same. Uther being a strong king, and not a very good father, and Arthur always wanting to prove himself to him. It's a strong and complex relationship and I am a fan of it.

12. The villain in this episode. How good / bad was he? Effective to the plot or simply a waste of talent? Tell us!!
I never ever liked him. He was an average villian, nothing special at all. I really don't have anything to say. I always felt it was sort of filler episode after promo.

13. And finally, the man of the title himself. MERLIN. Let's review his performance here compared to the first episode. Some liked him and some did not. So, has he done anything to improve your perspective in this episode? Or do you still not like him? How has he changed (if he did) or how can he change for the better? Talk anything!
I liked him for the same reasons I did in ep1. He tried to do his best, gave up in the process and soon was back on his feet. As it is the beginning, nobody expect much from him, and he didn't give as much as he could, or couldn't at that time. It was a good start of the season, that is all.
over a year ago zorbaparry said…
I think overall, this was a good episode. For me, the biggest plot hole was Giaus not speaking up for merlin or Arthur. It seemed like it would have been so easy for him to say, "I have just come from Eion's bedside where he corroborated their story". It made absolutely no sense that he stayed quiet. I did not see arwen indicator, but would love to know where it was! (Unless you are talking about on the commentary portion where Bradley James tells Angel that she just "pulled quite a cute face" at the scene they were watching...very cute indeed!). I think this episode does a good job highlighting how much Arthur wants to please his father and how important his approval of him is. I definitely liked merlin in this episode and I loved that Arthur put his trust in him, definitely a glimmer of the once and future!
over a year ago Pocketgal said…
Thought I would join in, I just bought the UK copy of Season One because Australia didn't include the commentaries, have just watched this with the brilliant commentary and will have a go at contributing. I must say is episode is much improved with the addition of Bradley and Angel chatting over the top.

Greed initially, but I think he wanted to eliminate Arthur so he could be top knight of Camelot, he seemed taken with the idea when it was suggested by Uther.

2. Name as many plot holes as you like (if there are any).
The electric lights behind Gaius? When he is tending to Ewan, or that could be continuity. Not really any plot holes, but I didn't like that Gaius didn't speak up.

I didn't like the fact he didn't speak up and this is a recurring theme, for example when Uther died, I am sure Arthur would have listened had Gaius explained about the necklace. My only thought is that Gaius didn't want to draw more attention to the use of magic, seeing he is so dead against its use in Camelot.

4. What did you learn in this episode?
You should trust your friends and make sure you have substantial proof when making an accusation with to the king.

When he trusted Merlin and then rehired him, but also on the morning of the fight when he was in the arena and he acknowledged the throne, also in his speech to Merlin about being perceived as a coward.

My guess it was during Arthur's fight with Valiant when Gwen had her fingernails in her mouth, she was showing genuine concern, also her cheer during his first fight. "Whoo"

My favourite moments are Arthur in the courtyard practising by himself, as it showed he wasn't overconfident and my other favourite moment was Merlin dressing Arthur the second time, it showed the beginning of their synergy and showed that Merlin doesn't have to be a fool all the time. Ooh and also when Gwen was explaining armour to Merlin, they didn't do enough of showing Gwen as the Blacksmith's daughter.

I think that during S1, they needed to plot more clues to the future Arwen relationship, so when Merlin was fired, perhaps have Gwen dress Arthur for the fight.

Very good, she believed him without question.

10. Discuss other relationships; Morgana & Uther, Morgana & Arthur, Gaius & Merlin, Gaius & Uther.
Morgana and Arthur ... yuck .. it seemed like early on TPTB were trying to force chemistry that just wasn't there. With Gaius and Uther, it's strange that after everything he has done for Uther in the past that Gaius feels Uther wouldn't listen to him in this instance.

Strained, Arthur has always been about making his father proud, but Uther is emotionless and doesn't believe his own son without proof. This Arthur wouldn't dare defy or speak out against Uther, unlike later episodes and seasons.

Average, he didn't say a lot, but he served his purpose, we didn't like him, however he had far more chemistry with Morgana than Arthur.

I liked that he is starting to relax, start to have confidence in his magic and what he can do. He speaks out but didn't do it half cocked. He needs that confidence that he gets from Gaius and Arthur, at the moment he is still learning his role within the castle.

I liked the continuity from Ep 1, the acknowledgement of the mace, mentioned again during the finale. As I said there are stronger episodes, but it is not the worst.
cool
Woohooo ..... wow! This is awesome.
Joppa ... you are bradley's wife for sure! Looks like you have been drooling and swooning all over him right from the first season. Good for you babe. :)
Zorbaparry, nice one.
Pocketgal, welcome and it's fun having you here. And let me tell you are close to the answers. Will reveal when everyone has answered.
But guys ... no one answered the masterlist? Come on ... have a go at them and it'll be fun.
And send the word around. The more we have here, the better it will be to discuss this forum.
big smile
All right, since i'm still around let me tell why I liked this episode. Three things; Merlin, Merlin and Gwen, Arthur and Merlin.

Merlin - No one knows about Merlin apart from the case that he is an old wizard, assisting Arthur in Camelot and good with magic. That's all. SO the expectation in this series, especially for Season 1 basically is about Merlin. It's a fresh take they said. And it is. We await each episode every saturday (I did) with an empty mind waiting to be filled with Merlin's adventures. We wanted to know him, learn about him and find out the person he was before the actual legend took place. SO, for me Season 1 was important because it laid the foundation for Merlin's life. And episode 2 was a further progression of his life's story. And I also like it for Merlin's purpose. He's cute.

Merlin & Gwen - Season 1, like Joppa said showcased them better as friends than the following season's did. Their relationship caught our attentions quicker than Arthur & Morgana because of the warm chemistry they displayed as friends. She was his first friend and was there for him at all times like he did for her. It was this relationship, this friendship, this trust that actually made Gwen smile in the finale when she realised Merlin was the sorcerer who helped her husband and been helping him all the while. And that is why, their friendship stays true all throughout the season even if they don't have a proper script to speak it out.

Merlin & Arthur - Let me be frank here and say I really liked their friendship. The bond is there, the care and the love of brotherly relationship is clearly visible and it was this, and this alone that caught my attention. I don't care how others perceive it, lets not speak of such here but ... since we've known Arthur & Merlin was more father and son in the real legend, it was refreshing to actually witness a more brotherly bond here. Again, this is a fresh take and I enjoyed the banter, the fun and the love of two brothers displayed in this episode.

Well ... here goes. Let's hear from more people and i will reveal my secrets. Laters ...
 All right, since i'm still around let me tell why I liked this episode. Three things; Merlin, Merlin
I may have more to say later, but wanted to get started. Let me say that I have watched this episode a LOT of times and never enjoyed it as much as I did today. Certain of the questions were fresh on my mind but I still think I'm going to watch again.

1. What is Valiant's reason to join the tournament and win it?</>
Money, honey! But then getting to be with Morgana didn't hurt. ;)

<b>2. Name as many plot holes as you like (if there are any). This is my personal fav

Feeding the snakes with the door cracked? C’mon. So they’re crawling all over the castle undetected. Well, why not?

I want to hear someone explain this because I’m still trying to figure that out.

I may say more about this later.

Standing up to his father and the whole court to do what he believed was right and honorable. Facing a man of nobility to call him on wrongdoing and on top of that with a lowly servant as his support, especially when he said “I believe he’s telling the truth.”
Also, Taking off his helmet when Valiant lost his in the tournament.
Acknowledging that Merlin was right.

Staring at Arthur as he turns to face Valiant. She was tight as a drum with her clenched hands held to her mouth. To me a little above and beyond the normal servant concern for the prince whom she considers to be an arrogant prat. I say look at her reaction during the entire conflict. Note they don’t just camera focus on Morgana but on both and watch the two girls’ emotions. Gwen’s was the more intense. Did you see her deep breath right after it was over and he had won? The girl was as tight as a drum during the fight. She could scarcely breathe. Again, her feelings were too intense to explain away.

My favorite moment. Actually when Arthur stabbed and killed Valiant. Nice move, lol. Only wish I could understand what he said to Valiant when he stabbed him. Next favorite was when that cute dog was up on his haunches. I love dogs. [I heard what Bradley had to say about that particular dog though!]

Definitely a close and trusting friendship. The scene when she came and sat on the steps with him was the most indicative. When she asked him if it was true about Valiant she said it in such a way that you knew she believed him and trusted him. In the way of true friendship he was sad and discouraged at the time and allowed her to see it and share it. Even though we’ll see snatches of a “crush” on her part here and there, what we saw there on the steps was pure unadulterated friendship at its finest. They just have a natural and free flowing chemistry together. I agree with some others who feel they left it by the way in Season 5, but excuse me, I don't want to talk about Season 5.

Arthur & Morgana. There was more of a real connect in this ep. The chemistry was probably the best of any time in the show for me. Her concern for him seemed genuine and real. Even in the stands when she held on to Gwen’s hand. As I try to gauge what I saw between them, the sibling aspect of the relationship was strongest, but I can see where people would get a touch of sensuality in that one scene where she came to wish him luck. Of course, the music helped. But in the ending the sibling feel kicked back in. Typical brother/sister feuding.

11. Let's discuss the father and son (Arthur & Uther) relationship in this episode. How do you all see it compared to other seasons? .
At this point in the relationship Uther is more concerned that Arthur not embarrass or make him look bad than letting his son have a sense of his love and care. The love is there of course, but Arthur doesn’t have a sense of it at this point. He’s left in a state of constantly trying to prove himself to his father. Not a good position for a young man to be in. I particularly disliked him comparing Arthur unfavorably to Valiant when he said he was the one acting in a way that a knight should behave. No one should ever compare his child unfavorably to another to his face like that. He shouldn’t do it period, but definitely not to his face and definitely not before a room full of people. I could understand completely why Arthur would lash out to Merlin like he did. As he said, he was completely humiliated, but it wasn’t Merlin who did the humiliating, it was Uther.

12. The villain in this episode. How good / bad was he? Effective to the plot or simply a waste of talent? Tell us!! </>
Great villain! Cold, calculating and determined. When Merlin was in his room I was scared. That’s the way a villain is supposed to make you feel, right? Performed perfectly by Will with that cold hard expression but knowing how to play the king. All villains have to know how to play the person in charge. He not only carried the plot, but was the plot. Everything revolved around his evilness.

<b>13. And finally, the man of the title himself. MERLIN. Let's review his performance here compared to the first episode. Some liked him and some did not. So, has he done anything to improve your perspective in this episode? Or do you still not like him? How has he changed (if he did) or how can he change for the better? Talk anything!

Awww, koochy-koo Merlin baby. I like him now. Why does he seem different this episode? I can’t put my finger on it but he does. More down to earth and sweet. Maybe you guys were right that he was just a young boy on a new journey and was walking on air last time. He still has much to learn and seems still carefree but I don’t get this arrogant feel now. The Merlin of this episode is the one I grew to love, even though he made me angry along the way, like you get when your child disappoints you. I think as I look back I only had those feelings at the very beginning.
heart
Nanna ... great comments. Love it and you are close to all the answers too ...
Been busy today but will try to get all the answers and hints and gifs and videos by tomorrow.
And yes ... you wil love MERLIN as we go by. :)
smile
Arthur. Yup ... he might be in for the money and girl but notice how he kept looking at Arthur every time he is praised by Uther, Morgana and the other knights. I think he seriously in to rile Arthur up and make him jealous. Perhaps Valiant was jealous of Arthur because it is a fact that Arthur is the best fighter and knight in Camelot. So my answer ... ARTHUR.

2. Name as many plot holes as you like (if there are any). This is my personal fav.
1. Valiant is a knight but is he also a sorcerer? He can summon the snakes!
2. The snakes being fed with his (valiant) door opened!
3. The snakes crawling in public. The initial glimpse of how bad the guards are in Camelot.
4. Gaius keeping quiet when Merlin and Arthur are struggling to answer Uther.
5. Merlin raises his hand and chants his magci and yet, no one sees it. Rather odd, isn't it?

Plot hole for me. And the begining of Gaius crap. But here, I seriously believe it is due to his lack of trust on Merlin. Yes he encouraged Merlin to tell Arthur but when Ewan died, he lacked the confidence due to the involvement of sorcery. He may be saving his own skin there but seriously this is a plot hole.

Understanding, trust, confidence, honesty.
Understanding between father and son, gaius and merlin, merlin and arthur. All three lacked understanding between each other in the beginning. There was doubt. Uther didnt listen to his son when Arthur was explaining about the snake, Gaius didnt believe Merlin was telling the truth about valiant, Arthur didnt think Merlin can actually survive all the bullies he was shooting at him. So the understanding part was sort of floating on the surface for a while in the opening period of the episode but as the drama kicks in, it starts to blend and mesh all the characters together resulting to positive ending.
Trust; now this is almost similar to understanding except here, we also have Gwen and Merlin. She trusted him and therefore that gave him confidence to try out his luck and save Arthur. The same goes for Gaius and Merlin. Gaius clearly didnt trust Merlin but after witnessing how confident the boy was in his statement, he decided to give it a shot. And he wasn't disapointed. Uther clearly lacked trust on Arthur when he is willing to listen to a nobody but his son. Surely by now he knows Arthur wouldn't lie to him and wouldn't have called for the meeting if he didnt have the proof. But Uther being Uther, chose not to trust his son because he will rather listen to a knight. And Arthur and Merlin. Here we get the first glimpse of this exciting friendship. Merlin might be his servant, but Arthur is willing to listen and therefore defend the servant in his father's presence. And that's what trust is all about.
Honesty here is all about Merlin. Being the naive boy he is, he knows he has to speak up to save his master and that's what he does. But unfortunately he also learns honesty can be a bad thing because he loses his first job and that same honesty gets him rehired. Perhaps this is where Merlin starts to learn to keep his mouth shut when he needs to.

In the throneroom where he defends Merlin, speaks up to his father, when he practises all alone to win the tournament, when he comes out to have a final view of the tournament area before he gets geared up and when he acknowledges the crowd after his win. But for me, it was the night before he fight Valiant. He stands alone and Merlin goes to visit him.

Arthur: Don't you understand? I can't withdraw. The people expect their prince to fight. How can I lead men into battle if they think I'm a coward?

Merlin: Valiant will kill you. If you fight, you die.

Arthur: Then I die.

Merlin: How can you go out there and fight like that?

Arthur: Because I have to. It's my duty.

And this for me showed the glimpses of the great king he is destined to become. That word, duty. It just sums up Arthur's characteristics as the once and future king.

Everything said above is fine and some came close but the one i spotted was in the final fight scene between Arthur and Valiant. After killing Valiant, Arthur acknowleges the crowd and the camera zooms towards Gaius who seems to be relieved that Arthur is alive. And then the camera zooms on Gwen and Morgana. Morgana is still in shock but it was Gwen who catches my attention. She is shown staring Uther with such a piercing stare that at first I missed it. Then I saw it again and then I confirmed my statement. YES, she stares at Uther as if saying 'You fool! This is Arthur, my love, my husband and my life! Stop messing with his life or you will have to face my wrath!'. That for me was the best arwen indicator in this episode.

1. Merlin walking into Gaius's chamber with his armour on and looking pitifuly damaged. Do you hear clanging? Gosh, this is a village boy and it must be so hard for him to get through the rough days with Arthur. And Merlin looked very cute here. *snort*
2. Merlin dressing Arthur and looking proud. His face beams with happiness knowing he has done the impossible, please Arthur.
3. Gwen helping Merlin with armour. We get the first sight of Gwen's background, as the blacksmith's daughter. And she does well too.
4. Merlin sulking at the steps and Gwen comforting him. We see the trust in both of them and personally it was an important scene for me because it goes on to promote their friendship for future seasons.
5. Arthur firing Merlin. It was sad for me to watch it because my heart goes out to Merlin. His honesty ands him in trouble when all he wanted to do was help Arthur out.
6. Gwen's stare at Uther. I loved it. I just do.
7. Arthur rehiring Merlin. That scene might look funny for some but it also shows Arthur's trust on Merlin. And it's an important scene as well because it paralel's with the final episode of Arthur and Merlin in the tavern.

A stronger plot than just a simple tournement to showcase Arthur's fighting skills and Merlin's magic. I would have had Gaius talk to Uther about magic and the witch who tried to kill Arthur, reminding Uther how his ban is angering the druids so that we know Uther's cruelty continues from the purge and still lingers. And how it will affect Arthur when is king so that we are reminded how Arthur will choose to set his rules when it comes to magic. Then i will have Uther talk to Arthur about his mother, reminding Arthur that she dies because of magic and how bad magic is to make things harder for Merlin in the future episodes. Also the mention of Arthur's mother will be nice. Then Gaius must talk to Merlin about the seriousness of magic in Camelot, reminding the purge as he goes on. After all MAGIC is the core word in this series so the more it is mentioned the better. Then I'll have Merlin talk/discuss with Gwen about Camelot and it's people since he is new and have take him around meeting the people who live there. Arthur can watch from the distance. Then have Morgana talk to Gaius about her dreams and later to Arthur to show how much she cares for him. And finally, when all is set right, Arthur asking Merlin to rejoin him as his servant and rather than the banter, i'll have Arthur ask Merlin about Gwen because he spotted them together.

A step further than the intro we saw in episode 1. Here Gwen trusts Merlin without asking question which goes to show how close they become in such a small period of time. Her trust is the one that gives Merlin the confidence to use his magic and help Arthur.

Here Morgana and Arthur is more like sibling than anything else which is good because we know what they actually right. Gaius and Uther doesnt have much to do here. Gaius and Merlin's relationship also hits the stumbling block in the beginning because Gaius starts to doubt Merlin. Only after Merlin's determination to save Arthur is revealed does Gaius actually see Merlin for whom he really is. But it's all right because he knows Merlin is gifted and he simply didn't want the boy to land in any trouble. After all, magic is banned in camelot and Hunith trusts Gaius.

Strained. This is clear in the lack of understanding and trust Uther shows in his son. From the way I see it, Uther burdens Arthur with the responsibility of a prince rather than a son. He is simply grooming Arthur to become the king than seeing Arthur as a son, a person actually. He ensures Arthur wins the tournament, makes him proud, doesn't humiliate him in public etc but he fails to notice that Arthur is thirsting his father's love. And this is clearly stated in S4 when Arthur confronts the soul of the druid boy he killed in his teens to make his father proud. There and there alone we got to see how lonely Arthur had been in his father's presence because Uther opted to be a king first and never the father. But we also know that Uther loves his son very much, seen in whenever Arthur is faced with danger. Even in this episode, when Valiant starts to attack Arthur brutally, Uther is up on his feet, nervous and anxious for his son. And he sighs in relief only after Valiant is dead.

Served the purpose. I woudn't call him good but he did create the aura of eeriness when ever he is on screen.

How can I talk bad about the boy I fell in love with! *snicker*.
Actually, here it's more learning in progress for Merlin. He is still learning to adjust himself to the life in Camelot, as Arthur's servant, his new role as young warlock, new powers, new friends and new props and armours. He is a village boy remember. He doesnt handle swords and armours well so he is actually facing culture shock here. And that explains his clumsiness, his naiveness, his bubbly behaviour and of course his honesty. But he is learning fast and it shows in how quickly he grasps his role as the warlock destined to save Arthur's life. And he wants to use his powers for good. We will see him adjusting to his role as the season goes on.

ellarose88 commented…
[i]Everything said above is fine and some came close but the one i spotted was in the final fight scene between Arthur and Valiant. After killing Valiant, Arthur acknowleges the crowd and the camera zooms towards Gaius who seems to be relieved that Arthur is alive. And then the camera zooms on Gwen and Morgana. Morgana is still in shock but it was Gwen who catches my attention. She is shown staring Uther with such a piercing stare that at first I missed it. Then I saw it again and then I confirmed my statement. YES, she stares at Uther as if saying 'You fool! This is Arthur, my love, my husband and my life! Stop messing with his life or you will have to face my wrath!'. That for me was the best arwen indicator in this episode. [/i] over a year ago
ellarose88 commented…
Oops I posted it instead of composição literária more. I didn't specifically notice that moment. Like everyone else I noticed how concerned Gwen was for Arthur (more than Morgana even). So I'll have to watch this episode again and focus on this moment. over a year ago
HumbleQueen commented…
On # 6, Well, I certainly did notice that and wondered why she was staring so hard. But I thiink the fact that she was so intense about the fight to the point that she had to take a breath is just as indicative as well! over a year ago
over a year ago ellarose88 said…
Shu! I am not in the mood for watching this episode again, after the shit that was said by a certain producer. But I am enjoying reading everyone's comments. Sorry guys! But I'll definitely be participating in the next one seeing as I am moderating it!
HumbleQueen commented…
Do your best, hon. I know how you feel. Hope you feel better in a couple of days when it's your turn. over a year ago
ellarose88 commented…
I wrote up my perguntas for it yesterday, so its all ready for posting! over a year ago
smile
It's all right Millie. I feel pathetically rotten as well. I think everyone here feels the same. That's why I don't do much in commentaries unles it's done by our OTP or the other knights. Apart from that, i dont really give a shit. But I rally can't wait for the next one because I love that episode. Nimueh makes an apperance and I love her! And it's also the episode which showcased OPT a lot! Looking forward ... Just ignore that bastard and let's focus on our OTP. They are the talent. :)
ellarose88 commented…
I'm excited for this one too. I was very happy when I was told I was doing this episode. Can't wait to discuss it over a year ago
big smile
Well! What are these changes that have been made? And for the better. Are they trying to make the forums like Facebook or something? Me likey that you can comment directly to a certain person without having to put the @ sign. Very nice. I know how Millie feels. All that has been happening has definitely affected our spirits a bit. Mine in a different way than maybe others, but definitely has had an impact. Well let's see how everyone feels in the coming days. For me, I have been reminding myself to keep everything in context and we're here for entertainment. When entertainment stops being enjoyable, then recalculate. But each makes that decision for self. Anyway, lets carry on sistahs, at least those who want to take part anyways...
ellarose88 commented…
Oh Agreed! Despite the shit that was said, Merlin did provide us with entertaining moments and our OTP was epic despite what some may say! over a year ago
sportyshuie commented…
agree milie and nanna. Whatever shit that was provided, Merlin still gave us entertainment for the past five years and for that, for that alone it deserves some credit. But rewatching is good therapy for me because I'm feeling like i felt the first time i saw Merlin. And i like that feeling over a year ago
over a year ago Arina0122 said…

Greed, Greed, and Greed; maybe at first the prize of 1,000 gold pieces, then also to take Lady Morgana to the fest; also the want to beat the Prince of Camelot and out do him and be the top dog.

2. Name as many plot holes as you like (if there are any). This is my personal fav

1. Plot hole for me was when they realized Valiant was using magic, why didn’t Uther call for the guards or the other knights try and help Arthur. Clearly, the guy was cheating and therefore already had lost and Arthur was the winner.
2. Uther would not listen to Gaius a trusted member of the council and physician that he trusted his life and the life of his family with over a stranger knight or not.
3. Similar, that Uther would not trust his own son over that of a stranger.
4. Merlin and Gaius did not think that Valiant might notice one of his snakes missing and do something about it.
5. How did Merlin know to ask Gwen for help about the armor, why not asks Gaius? (don’t get me wrong I loved that scene; just saying)
6. Why is Arthur practicing with a servant and not someone of more experience?
7. Merlin could barely hold the sword when he was fight Arthur; now he handles it perfect and cuts off the head of a snake.

I am not saying it is a good reason, but here goes. When Gaius and Merlin first realized that Valiant was using magic and Merlin wanted to tell Arthur. Gaius said that Uther would not believe the word of a servant over that of knight without proof and that was just how it is. Later the next day when Merlin said that Valiant was going to use the shield against Arthur that night; Gaius told Merlin despite what he said yesterday that the King (Uther) really wouldn’t listen to Merlin or Gaius against a Knight, but he would another knight. I find it very strange that Uther trusted Gaius with deep secrets like the birth of Arthur but he would not listen to him over a stranger.

Support and encouragement strengthens people and relationships.

Arthur showed this is several different ways; first he believed Merlin about the Valiant using magic and the snakes without proof. He took the word of his servant. He took the told the court that Merlin saw Valiant using magic; which means he took Merlin’s word over Valiant. Uther said as much. He also told Merlin that he believed Valiant would use the snakes on him in the tournament later that night after he had fired Merlin. Finally he apologized to Merlin for sacking him. Saying it was unfair of him. Arthur willingness to fight for his people even when he felt he would or could die his duty to serve others in the role spoke to me like his slow walk to the fight.

I notice Gwen checking Arthur out right after Morgana said Arthur was annoying and she wished he would lose. Gwen was watching him walk away then she turned and looked and Morgana and told her she didn’t really mean that. Then there is the scene when Arthur is fighting Valiant and he knocks Valiant helmet off and in return Arthur took his helmet off. In that frame you can see Gwen in the back ground with Arthur. Both are wearing Pendragon red. Gwen is also overly concerned about Arthur and gives a sigh of relief when he is ok and the stare at Uther.

1. Arthur walking out to fight Valiant in slow motion. (can’t explain it just love it)
2. All Gwen and Merlin scenes.
3. Arthur killing Valiant.
4. Arthur and Merlin at the beginning and the end (not all but most)
5. Gwen walking towards Merlin on the steps. Did you see the elegance and smoothness of her movement?

Not that it was the best episode, but I don’t know how to improve it at the moment.

Just loved the building and growing in the friendship. Merlin going to Gwen for help with the armor, and their interaction and how he praised her knowledge and then encouraged her for being just as she was. Then when Merlin was feeling down and Gwen asks if it true about Valiant and the magic and what was Merlin going to do about it. She showed trust and faith that he would take care of it.

Uther has Morgana on display in this episode not much interaction. I didn’t see much interaction with Uther and Gaius. Merlin and Gaius relationship is growing where Gaius is the teacher, mentor, father figure that was missing in Merlin’s early life. Morgana and Arthur I liked their banter at the first reception and the feast, great sibling interaction. It felt strange and eerie when she was helping him with his armor; I think it was supposed to be sensual but I didn’t see it. Yes, I saw true concern on her part for Arthur.
I think this is the episode where Merlin starts to look at Arthur in a different light. Not just some prat, prince who bullies people, but he see something else under it all. I think Merlin realize there is more to Arthur.

Arthur wants to be perfect for his father. It like very thing he does is to make Uther love him and be proud of him. He wants to prove himself not only to his father but the kingdom. Uther is trying to mold Arthur into another him. There is no room for failure in Uther’s eyes. Arthur must win at everything. Uther is not concerned with what Arthur thinks or feels only in creating someone to run the kingdom the way he runs. Uther does love his son, but that is always second to his love of Camelot.

I would say he was average and that he served his possible. He was believable in the role.

I liked Merlin in the first episode; however, he was a little more in control of himself. In the first one I felt he acted a little rash and foolish. Here he is listening to Gaius when Gaius advises him not to do anything. He gives encouragement to Gwen about knowing about armor whereas most women of her time would not know too much.

Also, Kilgarrah the dragon; I am watching and listening to what he says to Merlin more carefully this time around, because I did not like the ending, the finale, I accepted it, I kind of understand it, but it left me sad. I could not see contradict between what he said in the first episode and what he said in the finale. However, I felt that what he said to Merlin in the finale changed somehow.

Here he tells Merlin if only it was so easy to escape one destiny when Merlin was ready to quit. Not much help.

I am having fun, fun, and fun.

sportyshuie commented…
Good Review Arina ... over a year ago
sportyshuie commented…
Loved all you said especially the final about the dragon. The finale changed every thing the dragon mentioned in the beginning. It makes us feel as if the dragon lied to Merlin and it's kinda sad because i liked Kilgarrah. So to have everyone bashing the dragon for the way it was shown in the finale is a little sad. over a year ago