Leonardo DiCaprio The Aviator

abishai100 posted on Aug 04, 2008 at 06:39PM
I consider myself a recluse, so I really related to DiCaprio's performance in
Scorsese's "The Aviator" (2004). I'm not an actor but I dabble in music, so I empathized with Leo's emotional journey and hey isn't that what movies are supposed to do for us?

I have to admit, I watch simple movies with minimal interest (i.e., Joe Dante's "The 'Burbs"). I'm not American by birth (I'm from India), so I have even less fascination with the phenomenon that is Hollywood; and even in India, I watch movies like "Kabhi Kabhie" (1976).

Nevertheless, I dabble in the exotic and bizarre (i.e., "Eyes Wide Shut," "The Aviator," "The Dark Knight," etc.).

When I saw "The Aviator," I became interested in the life of Howard Hughes and in the new direction of Hollywood. Looking over new releases like "The Dark Knight" (2008) and "Body of Lies" (2008), I realized that the culture of USA is embracing Ancient Greece and 'old New York' (New York from Edith Wharton's novels). If you watch "The Aviator," you will agree!

I think Leo and the late Heath Ledger have a lot in common. They both like bizarre movies and they are both eccentric, talented actors. I think they could trade many of their career roles (i.e., Jack Dawson, Joker, Howard Hughes, Casanova).

But Leo's still an aviator and Heath is still THE Joker.

Leonardo DiCaprio No replies